Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Sugar-Drunk. Not Kidding.



So today was the Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) today.  Had to fast, of course, then drink 75mg of pure glucose and have my blood tested 3 times.  Well, it was a real PITA getting stuck that many times in one sitting due to having only two veins that are viable for that.... and they originally tried to draw from a vein on the side of my forearm.  O. M. G. NEVER AGAIN.  Horrible.  But after drinking the nasty-sweet drink I felt okay... at first.  Before long I felt a little queasy, then.... drunk.  No joke.  I was SO dizzy and stupid feeling that I had to ask the techs if it was normal.  I suppose it is somewhat, but they had to call my doctor to see if she wanted them to continue or abandon the test.  She said keep going---as long as I didn't vomit.

No vomiting, thank God.  Only the queasy feeling and massive dizziness.  Sheesh.

Got home... and just felt weak, shaky, wobbly.  All of that changed once I ate something with protein.  I'm not sure if reaction to the glucose is any indication of anything, but I would guess my pancreas is responding well enough and sending a fat dose of insulin in to take care of the sugar... hence the drop in sugar (a guess) with all the dizziness and nausea.

Their computers were down, so.. looks like it'll be a couple of days before I know the results.  My prediction: I'm fine, blood sugar-wise.  I don't have any gut feelings that I'm diabetic, and the doctor is only testing because the prednisone-induced Cushing's Syndrome can cause type II diabetes.  Still, I do expect this to come out just fine, honestly.

*sigh*  Another doctor's appointment tomorrow.  Phooey.




No comments:

So much for strong suggestions

ME22 & NE23.  NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...