Monday, September 8, 2014

Carotid Echo found something.... else. (dufuq?)

lol  Okay, so.... the event monitor came off today, thank goodness!  Let me tell you, if you're allergic to that adhesive on the electrode stickies.... well, two weeks is a LOOOOOOONG time.  sheesh.  So, that being said...

I had a carotid echo last week (have to have one every year now) and received a call this morning that all was fine, nothing changed.  However, I have to come in tomorrow for another echo, this time on my thyroid (huh?).  Apparently, while doing the carotid echo they found a nodule on my thyroid.  So they have to do a thorough echo on my thyroid to assess size, see if there's more than one, to find out if it's solid or fluid-filled, etc, and (I think)... to see if it's 'hot' or 'cold.'  One might think 'hot' would be a bad thing, but in this case 'hot' means 'active.'

I'm nosey and want to know more, so.... checking on a few things on reputable medical sites, 'hot' nodules mean they are creating a situation where hormones are being produced outside the pituitary gland, and these nodules are far less likely to be malignant.  These nodules also can wreak havoc with your health, but... they can be dealt with, either hormonally or surgically.  A small nodule may not require anything but watching, though.  But I've a feeling mine is causing issues, and.. would explain a lot... like feeling like I'm burning up all of the time, heart racing way beyond what's normal even for arrhythmias, especially post-ablation, and a few other choice and not-so-pleasant symptoms.

The unexpected thing about these thyroid nodules is this:  apparently if you have more than one, it's good.  If they're 'hot' it's even better than cold. lol  Strange, huh?  One nodule is more likely to be cancerous, and a cold nodule is more likely to be cancerous.

Freaking strange.

Apparently, if the nodule (or nodules, whatever) is small, not causing symptoms (would be surprising), then it's a watch-and-wait thing, meaning I have to have an echo done every 6-12 months to assess if it's growing and, if so, how much.

But I'm going to be very surprised if this thing isn't active, because I used to be one to freeze all of the time, the one cold when everyone else wasn't.  Not anymore!!!  When everyone else is freezing, I'm not only overheated, but having to change clothes often because I've soaked right through everything I have on.  And I'm not talking hot flashes either, but overheated for hours on end, day in and day out.

Anyway, this is going to be interesting.

No comments:

So much for strong suggestions

ME22 & NE23.  NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...