Friday, February 5, 2016

Just Not Going to Worry About it.



I'm not talking about the recent findings on my labs.  Since it points to kidney issues but doesn't have any proof of such (imaging, etc), and since the 'damage' showing in the labs COULD very well be due to Prednisone and/or Aza (Azathioprine), then I'm just going to choose not to worry about it.  I mean, it's not going to help anything if I worry, so why bother?  I can choose to focus on what I do know for sure, as opposed to focusing on what MAY BE.  I choose the latter.

Since a couple of you asked, I thought I would just give you the basics, in case you're curious.  As of my last lab results, of which I received the copies at the beginning of this week, it shows I have Stage 2 CKD.  Now, one reason I'm not worrying about this too much is because the findings are an estimate based on weight, height, gender, and several lab values.  It's NO guarantee that I have CKD, when it very well could be AKI or ACUTE Kidney Injury, and possibly due to some other factor.  In order for CKD to be a diagnosis, one has to have those elevated labs and ratio numbers for at least 3 months.  For all I know, the next time I get the labs done.. everything could very well be right within the normal range.

Oh, and if you don't know what CKD is---Chronic Kidney Disease.  This can be completely idiopathic, or it could have a direct and verifiable cause.  Since I don't know if I'm in CKD or if I'm experiencing AKI... I have to wait.  So why not wait it out until I know?  Right?  This makes the most sense to me.

Here's a little information in a screen shot:  This is pretty much the given belief in the medical community, and though it's rather like a waiting game, it's important to know for sure what's going on and why.  This also causes some doctors to take the stance that waiting is not the best idea because once the damage is done, it's irreversible and can cause major problems for the heart.



Like any other major medical problem, early detection and treatment provides the best outcome.  Thing is, deciding something is indeed a major medical problem should be done with certainty.  I guess it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.  Still, I think waiting may not be the worst idea.

I've seen changes with kidney function in my labs before, and the numbers have been creeping towards this for a few months now.  I also suspect that if my doctor's suspicions are correct and I do have Myositis.. the destruction of muscle tissue and protein breakdown may affect kidney function values; this is me guessing, of course, and one reason I'm leaving things up to the doctor and future lab results.

So that's it in a nutshell, the reason I deleted the post a few days ago about this issue.





No comments:

So much for strong suggestions

ME22 & NE23.  NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...