It was a low dew point day today, and with little humidity it was easy to sit outside with my camera to wait for the butterflies. A perfect breeze greeted me as I sat on the bench and watched. What a wonderful surprise when a little female (or perhaps just young?) hummingbird arrived, took what she wanted from a cluster of flowers, then decided to perch for a while. That's a rare treat indeed to have one simply... hang out. :) I was so excited that I missed a couple of shots. My hands were trembling a little, I have to admit. What a gift it was to see her.
For a short time I could forget how weak and painful I was, and the sadness that's usually a constant companion faded away, even if for a short time. I was content to sit in the shade on this relatively perfect day to watch one of nature's most beautiful children enjoy herself among the flowers. Even with the excitement I felt... there was also an uncharacteristic calm that settled within. I was happy for a while.
Life tends to be a lot less complicated when I have my camera in my hands. No one really understands who or what I am, and even fewer understand that which I truly love. If I could only show them....
The image above is one interesting story played out right in front of my eyes. The little thing that looks like a bee is not a bee at all but a "Hummingbird Moth." They're interesting creatures, and apparently... the hummingbird thinks so too. She watched as the HBM flew towards and past her, and she tracked its approach and passing. She wasn't afraid that I could see at all but more.. curious.
The curious little hummingbird could be a young one, and maybe that could also explain the intense curiosity she had with the hummingbird moth. This is something I've yet to investigate still.
She eventually flew from the cluster of blossoms to another, almost hiding herself in the foliage from camera view. Thankfully, I know how to isolate a subject from its surroundings. :)
She was intently curious, to be sure. There was certainly a blessing in having been witness to this.
Some of nature's children are going through quite a change of late, with juvenile cardinals growing in new feathers, and the adult cardinals molting and looking more like tiny red and black vultures than cardinals. I find them all beautiful... each and every one.
The below pic of a cardinal in molting stage was taken from indoors, through a window with a screen, and about 4ft from where I was sitting. The window sill did get in the way a bit, but I didn't dare move or risk scaring her away. She did see me, and likely because there is yet to be a 'silent shutter' on a camera. She didn't worry too much and didn't leave right away.
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this cardinal (to me) is no less beautiful than the butterfly of which you cannot see inside the Chrysalis. Plus, I just adore that one little red feather on her head. ;p
See her "feather eyebrows"? Nature has an amazing way of protecting her children, and while it's not always perfect (as we all know), nature has given this little girl protection for her eyes from the sun. And then again... there's that ONE little red feather on her head. I just love her.
So it's been quite a day of varied experiences, with the good being enough to outweigh the bad. These days I choose not to go down the road of what makes me miserable and, instead, reach out and embrace that which makes me glad I'm alive.
A day with my camera in-hand is a good day for me, and now that it's after midnight.. I'm off to bed, this time, smiling.
Till next time....








No comments:
Post a Comment