Someone graciously gave me food money, thank God, and so I headed to Sam's club last night after working at job 2. After I'd gotten a few things I headed to the register, paid, then proceeded to the exit where the 'greeter' checks the receipt against the goods in the cart. As I approached the door I noticed the woman standing there looked bone-weary-tired, and I thought.. wow.. I know how she feels. I stepped up, handed her my receipt and said, "You look like I feel." She smiled, albeit a weary smile, and said.. "I'm exhausted."
I asked her if it had been a long day for her, and she replied that it had, but that it's always a long day as she works two jobs. I told her I was doing the same and still looking for more work, then added that it seems SO much harder to work two p/t jobs than one f/t job. She nodded in agreement, then told me about her life (in few words)....
She works two jobs because she has to in order to survive. Neither job pays her a living wage (boy, do I know about that!), so she takes as many hours as they will give her.
"I don't get days off," she stated in that weary tone. "I work at one job, then I come here. Then I get up the next day and do it again." She sighed heavily, smiled and said... "I just don't ever get a day off."
I felt badly for her, and my heart sank as I realized.... she was me. I wished her well, told her that her hard work was commendable and hoped things got better for her soon. I walked out into the parking lot in the dying light of dusk and knew that I had just heard my current life story.
I had applied at Sam's but did not get an interview call. And I would try again. The tired woman at the exit stated that they pay $8/hr and that they only hire p/t employees [with the exception of management]. Already when I work job 1 and job 2 on the same day I'm away from home for sometimes 13 hours or so. All of my days off at one place are filled with work at the other. I was scheduled off for Monday and Thursday of this week at job 2 but was asked if I could or wanted to work Monday (of course I say YES!), and there was a Thursday shift available... so I took that as well.
I met my future. I saw her weary eyes and tired face and wondered where her spirit and vitality had gone. She looked defeated, even as she smiled pleasantly and wished every single customer that passed her a good night. She wished for others what she would not have for herself. Sounds familiar.
..........seriously. what else is there to say, except... "Is this all there is?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So much for strong suggestions
ME22 & NE23. NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...
-
But I was... the entire time during the procedure. It's not exactly the nightmare they make movies and write books about, but it more...
-
This is America. Is it too much to ask to be able to afford a hot meal at least once a day? Maybe a meal that 'isn't' oatmeal ...
No comments:
Post a Comment