Trying to come up with f/t hours with 2 p/t jobs isn't easy at all, and many times it means you're spread thin throughout the week. We have to do what we have to do. My chosen career field isn't that easy to get into (another talk show), but my little p/t job within that field is all I have to keep my training and skills going. For now. But taking on a second job was crucial to my survival since the one job I have only gives me an average of 15 hours per week at best.
We do what we must to survive.
For the purpose of this blog I will call my 'career job' "job 1," and my 'other' p/t job "job 2.".......
I had high hopes for job 1. The staff is SUPER small, the clinic being small, though 'big corporation' owned. Still, I really believed that this would be a huge career move for me. But little did I know that the place is managed (poorly so) by someone who manages in what I call "Redneck Retail" fashion. This is NOT a retail job, btw, though there are products that are sold to clients. That being said, I will continue...
The staff at job 1 is comprised of either housewives who have husbands with incomes, or college kids who still live at home. Most are wealthy, spoiled, and completely clueless to many of the life lessons that teach us more about compassion, tolerance, selflessness, etc. Truly, the entire bunch (with the exception of one new employee) are about as "Me, me, me! It's all about me!" oriented. But the worst of it is the juvenile behavior of the adults, how they wield their power like a loaded handgun in the grasp of an angry 5 yr old.
It took me 18 months to find job 1 after my 11 year relationship ended abruptly and left me without a job, savings, car, etc. But even though it was p/t it was still in my chosen career field, and I figured I could always get a second job to supplement. The entirety of the staff, with the exception of myself, has only the one job... because they don't NEED a second job due to their living/life/home/money situations. I have only myself, so I NEED a second job to survive. It took 6 months to find that second job, but at least I found one.
Job 2 is TEMPORARY/seasonal. It pays only min wage but offers a bonus ($1/hr per every hour worked) if the empolyee sticks it out til the end when the store closes on November 1st. I will continue to look for another p/t job (or f/t) in the meantime. However, job 1 boss decided to make life very difficult on me.... because I dared to get a second job.
Trust me, I'm getting to the 'future' part.....
Boss of job 1 waited this past week to post the schedule. Boss of job 2, as per company policy, works around the employees other schedules because the job is only 2 months long and doesn't pay well. So I waited... and waited for boss of job 1 to post the schedule. On the day my boss from job 2 needed to make out the schedule for the week I called my boss of job 1 to find out what my schedule there was... and was told that she had not made the schedule yet. I left a msg, then tried to call again, only to be told she had gone home for the day. So I left another message telling her that my boss from job 2 HAD to get the schedule made and that if I didn't allow him to schedule me I would get hardly any hours at all, basically what was left over.
I went to work at job 1 the following day and left a note for job 1 boss, explaining that the schedule HAD to be made or I would have lost out. Boss of job 1 simply stated she would deal with it the following day.
I went to work the day after... and boss of job 1 still had me set at 0.0 hours. She told me that based on my availability she couldn't do anything about it. See, here's the problem I have with her excuse....
a. I am available ALL mornings til early afternoon on ALL days.
b. I was scheduled OFF TWO DAYS from job 2, and since boss of job 1 schedules me less hours per week than 2 full days, there was NO reason at all why she couldn't schedule me for those two days.
c. The corporation that owns job 1 has what is known as a 'work/life' program, where they are dedicated to scheduling employees so that their LIFE works well with their job. They believe they get happier employees that way.
d. A new employee isn't doing well and the upper staff is NOT happy with her laziness and bad work ethics. One even mentioned that she simply wasn't interested in the job at all. But boss of job 1 gives her 25+ hours, works her in the am......
Boss of job 1 simply is throwing a tantrum and wielding her power to do harm to someone because she can. She's ticked off because I dared to get another job.
But worse... boss of job 1 recently added me on FB. She never posts anything, never talks to me there, never comments on anything, and didn't even bother to say happy birthday (when she had to others). She added me to snoop, and last evening I blocked her ability to see my updates and posts. I simply DO NOT trust her in the least.
I have a bad feeling about where this is going, and I simply do not have the power to stop it. She's on a mission to wreck my life, and I know this because if it were not for my boss at job 2... my rent wouldn't be paid for October. As it is, it's barely paid.
I needed two jobs to make it. I need two jobs to pay my bills, buy food, and have gas and insurance for my car. This is not a joke. This is not 'shoe money' or partying money. This is not fun and games for me. I'm a grown up with grown up bills. No person or gov't agency pays my way. "I" pay my way.
...now about talking to my future last night..
Check out PART 2......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So much for strong suggestions
ME22 & NE23. NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...
-
But I was... the entire time during the procedure. It's not exactly the nightmare they make movies and write books about, but it more...
-
This is America. Is it too much to ask to be able to afford a hot meal at least once a day? Maybe a meal that 'isn't' oatmeal ...
No comments:
Post a Comment