It's almost Halloween and I'm afraid I'm not at all ready. My body has been my worst enemy of late, and there are frightfully more horror stories associated with that than I care to admit. Ghastly, I know.
Cold as a corpse, most days, though I indulge in a frightening film or series on the television to appease my inner Wednesday Addams. Still, the lovely expanse of yard in front of my house is as empty as a zombie's eyes. No monsters, ghouls, ghosts, or beasts there....
A mournful sight when looking upon the decomposing blades beneath a sleepy Autumn sun.
All the beasts of the season remain in waiting in their respective places, tucked in corners and boxes, a hanging head in a cage near a back window in a darkened storage room where things go to be forgotten for a time. There's more Halloween in that place than in most, yet it will remain in its confines for yet another year, sadly tucked in the shadows among the trivial excesses of everyday life.
As I stand in that room taking in a small indulgence of nostalgia of Halloweens past, I wonder at the lost Halloween of 2014, and if I can successfully silence the insidious question that seems to naturally follow...

No comments:
Post a Comment