Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Diagnosis. Finally. But then....


It's been a minute, I know.  Symptoms galore, no energy, pain, you name it.  After going to a few rheumatologists to be left with more questions than answers, being dismissed because lab values that are off don't tell the story.  So I decided to go back to the rheumatologist, where my journey for answers (and hopefully help) began.  I'm so glad I did.  Thank you, voice of intuition, for guiding me.

I walked away today with a diagnosis (two actually) and a prescription for what I call "A scary drug."  Most drugs given for autoimmune issues are hard-core, which is why doctors don't jump on a diagnosis unless there's reason.  These medications can cause some serious side effects.  Given this, I'm a little numb at the moment, and I'm telling myself "Denial isn't a river in Egypt."  Still, I'll have to work myself towards acceptance, at least of one of the 2 anyway.

Sjogren's and SLE.  The first I suspected, but the second... not so much.  Compliment labs were ordered to help confirm, though he did diagnose me and hand me the Rx, so in a way I'm hoping he changes his mind about the SLE.  Sjogren's is a nasty AI disease, though, so 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  So why was I not surprised by the first diagnosis??  That's easy---a few years ago I was told by another physician that he thought I had it, then my Ophthalmologist said the same thing.  My Ophthalmologist treats patients for eye issues related to Sjogren's, and my Schirmer's test came back a "1" in one eye, and a "2" in the other.  Normal is above 5.

I'm tired so am signing off.  I will do my best to post more often....

Till next time.....


No comments:

So much for strong suggestions

ME22 & NE23.  NEFL Eagle cam. Screen shot and photomanipulation by me. Copyright American Eagle Foundation. My physical jour...